Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What Makes a Good Boss? Even Kids Know!

I'm mentoring students at a local high school.  They are a bright, vibrant bunch.  Recently, I asked them to name their favorite teachers and they did without hesitation.  I then asked them why those teachers are their favorites.  

They told me their favorite teachers:  

Are FUN,
Are funny
Make the work interesting
Treat students with respect 
Are easy to talk to
Maintain control in the classroom. 


I asked them if they think these would be great attributes for a boss to have.  They agreed wholeheartedly.   So, I gave them this advice:

WHEN YOU BECOME A BOSS develop those same characteristics in yourself

  • Look for ways to make the work fun and interested.  Assign people work that they enjoy and that will help them grow.  
  • Be respectful and trustworthy in your communications.  People need to know that you have their back, and that you won't say derogatory things behind their back.
  • Employ an open door policy.   That means not only having an open door, but an open mind.   It means listening, caring, and guiding as well.
  • Provide your staff with the direction and support they need.   They will differ by person and situation.  
  • Be the leader they can count on.
I think that's good advice for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment