Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Your Calling Is Calling You.

An ancient chinese provides says: "Choose a job you love; you'll never work a day in your life."
Statistics show that 85% of successful people are successful because they are pursing their passion, while 15% are successful because of the skills/knowledge/abilities they have.   [the survey defines successful as financially lucrative and satisfied with their work] What does that say to me? You can be really good at something, but if you don't love it you won't be really great at it!

Everyone has a gift.  Find yours.
A few years ago I developed a workshop called Pursue Your Passion.  It was designed to help young people, those in transition and even students find the work they love.  Of course, many employers didn't like it.  They told me:  "I don't want my employees to find their passion; they might leave!"  True.  True.  But, the program was hugely successful with universities, churches, and progressive businesses that want engaged, fulfilled workers. 

Here are a few questions from the workshop assessment.  Ask yourself these questions and answer them honestly.

1.  What do others ask me to give/provide most often (i.e. do people ask you for financial advice, decorating tips, or to cook your famous chili?)
 
2.   What idea, hobby, or thing do I LOVE to think about or talk about?  



3.  What would I do more often, if I had more time?

I love the first question because oftentimes when I ask people what they are good at, they say "nothing".  Can you believe that?  People honestly believe they are placed on this earth with no gifts or talents.  So, I ask them to think about what OTHERS say they are good at.  This type of questioning breaks the barrier. 

Finding your purpose in life has three benefits. One, you'll be happier doing work that you enjoy. Secondly,  when you're working hard at something you love, you reap the benefits. Your efforts could translate into more recognition, better pay, promotions and excellence performance.  Thirdly, that excellence will spill over into other areas of your life. Your confidence, relationships, spiritual walk... everything gets better because you get better.

Your calling is calling you!  Don't keep it waiting any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment