Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Leadership. Worthiness. Life -- Lessons from Oprah

“You are responsible for your own energy and the energy you bring to others.”  Oprah’s words during her farewell  finale today.   As a training professional, I teach about trust and my audiences discuss legitimate leadership.  Legitimate leadership is what a person has when others follow them because of trust and respect, not because they have to or because they are afraid not to.  That’s the kind of power Ms Oprah has.  Her followers buy the products she recommends, read the books she likes, and go to the places she prefers, because they trust her judgment.  The believe that her motives, her intent, and her honesty.  Why would millions of people put their trust in a journalist, an actress, a talk-show host,  a stranger?  Well, I would imagine they believe Oprah to be transparent, respectful, loyal,  ands straight-forward.  In addition a true leader is willing to admit when she’s wrong, she rights those wrongs, and she practices accountability, I believe.  That's the kind of leader I strive to be continually.  No, I don't aspire to be the richest woman in the world, I don't desire fame.  But legitimate leadership is a great honor, and privilege.  It is purposeful and driving.  It helps me stay focused on what is most important to me.  What I know for sure is:   Each of us is responsible for our own life.  Don’t wait for someone else to save you, fix you, or complete you. 
Worthiness is your birthright.  Oprah says.  I believe you are worthy because you were chosen to be here.  We were born for a purpose and as I say repeatedly, you have a duty to find it.  When you know you're worthy, you make decisions accordingly.  You know your price tag.  You know you're in the glass case, not on the clearance rack.  Oprah says that you’re life is whispering to you.  Will you hear it?  I know my life is whispering to me.  It whispers warnings, complaints, encouragements, advice,  and directions.  When I don’t listen my life uses other people to speak to me.  I appreciate those messages  my life gives me because even when I’m not quick to listen, my life remains consistent.  Life continues to tell me things that save me, and protect me sometimes in  subtle, funny, and creative ways.  You see for me, Life is God.   As Oprah said “The grace of God is closer than your own breath.”

No comments:

Post a Comment