Thursday, June 6, 2019

Lessons from Dubai: Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

I get onto the elevator at the Burj Khalifa. It takes nearly a minute to ascend to the top of the tower. This is the tallest building in the world at hundred and sixty three stories. I step out onto the observation deck and there is nothing below my feet but a piece of Plexiglas as I'm a half mile in the air.
As a person who's not fond of heights that was uncomfortable for me. Nevertheless, I knew if I would make the most of this experience I had to become comfortable with being uncomfortable. I didn't know what to expect at any point on this journey to the United Arab Emirates. I didn't know what the food would be like, how the people would respond to Americans, or how I would adjust to some Middle Eastern customs. One thing I learned was this:
if you're going to get the most out of a journey or experience, accept that there are no guarantees.
if you're going to get the most out of a journey, or experience, accept that there are no guarantees. No one can promise you that it's going to be perfectly comfortable, easy, and familiar every step of the way. If you are risk-averse, just remember that everything uncomfortable is not necessarily dangerous. Just because you don't know what it will be like doesn't mean it will be bad. Think of something that you really enjoy now but didn’t always like. It could be a food, a sport, a hobby, or even a person. Before you initially tried it, you didn't know you were going to like it.
It won't always be comfortable but at the end it will be worth it.
But you tried it and found out that you did.  Life offers many experiences that are similar. And, you'll have to ask yourself: Am I willing to give up a comfortable job to start my own business? Am I willing to give up an hour of sleep to study for my exams? Am I willing to give up time with friends to go to the gym? Am I willing to give up my favorite leisure activity to save up for a house?
Whatever it is you want to achieve; they'll be something you need to start doing or stop doing to achieve it.  It won't always be comfortable. Nevertheless, at the end of the process it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment