Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Learning Position: Embracing My Place


In my family I consider myself to be in the learning position.  I’m the last born of three kids and that provided lots of opportunities to learn, particularly from my brothers’ mistakes.  I heard them talk back to our parents, which didn’t go well for them.   I saw them wreck cars, and loose credibility in the process.  I also watched them get in trouble at school, and get grounded.   I think it’s great to learn from your own mistakes, but it’s even better to learn from the mistakes of others. Because my brothers are 10 and 15 years older that me, we weren’t really growing up together.  They were growing up before my eyes and I was their spectator watching the whole dramatic episode unfold.  I learned to ride a bike, drive a car, and play musical instruments;  I can sketch and paint because of their influence as well.  They are very talented.  I thought I must be talented too because we all come from the same stock.  So, I tried things I might not have tried if it hadn’t been for them.  Additionally, I’m pretty good with a hammer, wretch, and drill because of what I learned growing up in that household.  I was even the youngest girl on my block (except for one girl who was my same age).   From the older girls in the neighborhood, I learned to do hair and nails, I learned style and fashion, I learned a lot about music, school, and of course, about boys.  I also watched them experience loss, betrayal, and disappointments at home, school, and work.  I watched how they responded, reacted, and persevered.  Of course, watching someone else’s heartbreak didn’t preclude me from it.  But, I knew how to handle it with grace, once it was my turn.  And I knew it wouldn’t last forever.  All their experiences and my observations helped me figure out what I wanted for my life.  It set me on a path to education, entrepreneurship, and community activism. Additionally, I am the youngest granddaughter in my family – on both sides.   Having 30 first cousins who are all older than me, is a unique experience. I continued to leverage my learning position as I watch them get married, have kids, begin careers, get promoted, and start businesses.   I also watched some of them drop out of school, experiment with drugs, and struggle financially.  Because of them, I knew exactly what to do to get a job, and what to do to loose one.  I chose the former.  I learned that dreams really do come true, but usually not while you’re sleeping.  And, now, I teach kids in my life that they can do anything they want and have anything they want – with work, perseverance and preparation.  I realize everyone doesn't learn, even when they are in a learning position.  One must be willing, humble, and curious.  I would venture that no matter what your position, there is an opportunity to learn.  Are you open to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment